Jun 4, 2008

SLICES OF CAKE...

I am in an incredibly sweet-tooth mood lately. Everyday there has been some chocolate, cake, cookies, ice-cream & company included somewhere in my diet. I know, it’s not very good for the health and for the waistline, but quite frankly sometimes if your taste buds are craving something then they should enjoy it. In moderation, there is nothing to worry about! Plus, I go to the gym at least 3 times a week, so that makes up for my sugar indulgences. Yes, I am a woman and this is how most women (without wanting to generalize) think when it comes to justifying their defeat to a sugar coated temptation!

Sometimes I crave a simple piece of bread with Nutella, or a slice of a humble cake, and then other days I will be capricious and lust for an orange-saffron LadurĂ©e macaron or a piece of chocolate from the master himself Pierre Marcolini. However most of the time, I lean on the more adventurous side: I like matching up flavours I haven’t tried before. It doesn’t have to be out of this world, like say for instance, hmmm… caramel coated frog legs! It just needs to be something interesting. Cakes are a good way of playing around with flavours. I know that this weekend I’ll be busy with cakes, and probably ice-cream too, , but for the moment here are two examples of my many favourite home-made cake flavours:
Which one do you prefer? And what are YOUR favourite cake flavours?

Chocolate laced with cinammon and bits of pistachios and luscious figs OR juicy cherries with some chocolate & almond crunch?

I love using base cake recipes and then throwing in some ingredients imagining myself experimenting at Willy Wonka’s factory. I personally enjoyed both cakes but maybe I had a slight preference for the morello cherry, dark chocolate & almond one- especially when it’s still warm and accompanied with some fresh cream! To die for!

P.S: I’m not including a recipe here. I just used a base cake recipe and then threw in the extra ingredients at the appropriate steps. Sometimes (actually most of the time) I just do kitchen-play and really enjoy the feeling of not following a recipe word for word and gram for gram!

14 comments:

Peter M said...

Ohhhh, it's so hard to decide...I really like the flavours in both cakes.

Here we go (tossing a coin)...it's Morello-cherry.

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of both those cakes but if I had to choose right now, I'd probably pick the cherry, dark choc and almond one. My favourite cakes are usually lemony. And sometimes chocolatey. Actually, I'm not even a huge cake eater - not sure why!

Anonymous said...

I'd go for the cherry chocolate one! Not sure what my favourite is...either Battenberg cake or cake with raspberries

Anonymous said...

Wow creative combo of flavours! The fruit "almost" makes it healthy;-) I think I'd go for the cherries and chocolate.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Cherries will soon be in season so I will have to go for those cake flavours ....for now. It would fit into the 100-Mile Diet as well that we can only adhere to in the Spring and Summer months here in Canada with our growing seasons.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, Marianna, my dear, you ask some pretty difficult questions - how can I choose between these 2 wonderful cakes?? ;)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Oooh. . .both look gorgeous!

Helene said...

I like both but I think that I would like the fig one better. I have a lemon cardamom cake freak :)

Nina Timm said...

I love the chocolate and figs version, but they both look equally delicious. A good cuppa coffee and I am a happy camper!

Sabra said...

I'd go for the fig one! I love figs in baked goods. Hmmm - making me hungry now!

Anonymous said...

Can i have the morello cherry and chocolate one? Pleaseee ?

Anonymous said...

Such a hard decision but I'd go for the pistachio version.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Can I choose both! They both sound so delicious!

Y said...

I'm a sucker for cherries, so I'd probably pick the cherry one. That said, they both look so delicious!