Apr 5, 2012

A SIP OF SUNSHINE

When I lived in Paris, I never had to think twice about what I wanted to drink (alcoholic drink that is): it was either wine or champagne. I was never the girl holding a cocktail in her hands. Yes, you can call me boring, but I always enjoyed playing the olfactory game of choosing between a red (pinot noir or syrah?)... or maybe a white (sec or fruité?) In the summer, it was always a ro of course. And then for a euphoric kick, obviously the choice was champagne. 

But then it all changed once I found myself on the other side of the Atlantic. 


And it wasn't a Carrie Bradshaw syndrome: I wasn't sipping on Cosmopolitans, which was too cliché in my opinion. In NYC, I discovered places that made some absolutely divine cocktails. The kind that you don't mind waiting up to thirty minutes for (at Raines Law Room or Milk & Honey for instance- the wait is worth it!) because your drink is in the hands of a mixologist of a certain caliber and talent. A mixologist who loves their craft in a seemingly quasi spiritual way- dare I say. Yes, in NYC, I had finally learned to appreciate what a good cocktail was all about. In a reasonable and responsible manner of course. 

And, like a late new year's resolution, I've decided I should start making cocktails every now and then... and maybe invest in some proper gear- like a shaker and strainer along with a nice collection of recipes, no? But for now, let me share a rare occasion (from last year- I never posted this before!) where I was spontaneously blending ingredients on a hot sunny day...just like the ones we've been enjoying here recently...

I realized that cantaloupe... 
...and a scoop of mango sorbet...

 ...go oh so perfectly well with ouzo (I just absolutely love anise seed flavoured anything!). But my favourite part has got to be adding a floral twist with some Jasmine syrup! 
Throw everything in a blender with a bunch of ice cubes, serve, stir and sit in a perfectly sunny spot and sip away... 

No comments: