May 18, 2008

LIMONCELLO TIRAMISU

For as long as I can remember, I have always been in love with Italy. Before I even visited the country, I knew I would love it (which I did!). I love the language, the people, the culture, lifestyle, fashion and design, and of course the food-and the latter I love it moltissimo. Contrary to French cuisine, Italians have the genius of using simple ingredients - no need for foie gras and champagne- to create one of the most delicious cuisines in the world. It is a generous and down-to-earth cuisine in my opinion. It feeds your stomach but also your soul. Now if we start talking about desserts, one of the first specialities that will come to my mind is tiramisu. This weekend I felt like tiramisu, but betrayed the classic recipe and went with something very refreshing and lemon-y, and used some of the Limoncello we had at home. I love classics, but I also like classics with a twist- and this is what my limoncello tiramisu turned out to be, with many thoughts of Italy in my mind.

Boudoirs/Savoiardi & Limoncello

I crushed dragées (white & golden, below) to use for decorating the tiramisu. Dragées can make a great visual effect on desserts, I've used them before also on ice cream too. The idea is originally inspired by famous French patissier Christophe Michalak's macarons.

While I made my tiramisu, many thoughts of Italy ran through my mind.


Well enough daydreaming now, let's get back to the Limoncello tiramisu and the recipe. Just a little note- my recipe is eggless (I have an issue with eggs used in a certain manner, long story!). So if you want to keep eggs, then just include the zabaglione extra step.

Also, this will be my first time participating in a food blog-hosted event. I will be submitting this recipe to the Citrus themed Sugar High Friday- an event created by Jennifer of The Domestic Goddess and for this time hosted by Tartelette :-)

Recipe for Limoncello Tiramisu:

You'll need:

  • 250gr mascarpone
  • 15cl liquid cream
  • About 20 Boudoirs / Savoiardi biscuits
  • 3 lemons (juice of)
  • 200ml water
  • 60ml Limoncello
  • 50-100gr sugar (sweeten according to your personal taste)
  • Dragées / Jordan almonds - crushed (this is optional)

Making it:

First off, heat the lemon juice, water and sugar in a small pan. Let boil 2-3 times, and then remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, whip the liquid cream and then add 20ml of Limoncello. It is best to use a cold bowl and cream (you can place the bowl in the fridge or freezer beforehand). In another bowl, soften the mascarpone. Then gently mix the whipped cream and mascarpone together. Place this mixture in the fridge. Now bring the lemon syrup you have prepared and add 40ml of Limoncello in it. Bring out a deep pan and start soaking the boudoirs/savoiardi in the syrup and place on bottom of pan until a first row is complete. Then bring out the cream-mascarpone mixture from the fridge and spread a layer on top of the biscuits. Repeat with another layer of boudoirs/savoiardi and cream. Cover the tiramisu with plastic wrap and place in fridge for up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle with crushed Jordan almonds.

Bookmark and Share

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you decided to participate because I would have missed this delightful dessert and your lovely blog! It looks absolutely delicious!
Tartelette

susand said...

This is so pretty. Thanks for the recipes and pics of Italy.
Sue

Peter M said...

Marianna, I made a lemon tiramisu in Greece last year and it was refreshing, light and delish. I do adore your choice of topping and the photo well, does not remind me at all of "malaka"! lol

Anonymous said...

I don't like the regular one (I know, I'm one of the few people in the world ;) but I think I could love this one!

Rachel said...

beautiful & clever!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Marianna, this looks so refreshing and even better than the original...I love lemon and cream and I imagine this would work well with this dessert..stunning as usual.

Anonymous said...

ohhh yum! this looks way too yummy not to make!

Anonymous said...

i am a stickler for tiramisu - my mom's was the absolute best, and it's the standard by which i judge all italian restaurants and cafes - but i might loosen up a little for this one because of the limoncello.

Anonymous said...

I especially enjoyed your intro regarding your love for Italian food.

Anonymous said...

Tiramisu used to be my favourite dessert until it started showing up on menu's at big chain restaurants. I love how you've refreshed the classic. I have a bottle of Limoncello in the freezer just waiting to be used for this!

Marianna said...

Helen- I'm happy to have participated too :-) Maybe I'll get hooked on SHFs!

Susand- Thank you & you're welcome :-)

Peter M- I'm sure your tiramisu must had been a success! Like what you said, the lemon really gives a refreshing edge to a dessert which generally is not exactly what I would consider as "refreshing"

Linda- I guess you are one of the few people I know that do not like tiramisu! Thanks for your comment!

Rachel- thank you!!

Peter G- thanks, that is too sweet. Don't know if it's better then the original, but I would like to think so hehe :-)

Natalie- thanks, if you make it I hope you enjoy it!

Michelle- mom recipes must be tough to beat. Wonder what your mother's secret is! I think I had my best tiramisu ever in Rome, and that has become my benchmark to compare with other tiramisus!

Lulu- thanks so much, I think Italy will be a frequent topic on my blog :-)

Marc- ya you are right, tiramisu has almost become a sell-out! hehe :-) Nonetheless I love tiramisu, but I've tried the classic recipe a countless number of times, so refreshing it keeps my tiramisu-love last for longer!

Anonymous said...

WOW.
fantastic pictures!! what a great take on the classic tiramisu. love it.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Marianna, make sure you cut my slice big, ok? ;)
This is heavenly!

Peter M said...

Marianna, I can't seem to find your email link, please email me.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

First of all, this sounds and looks wonderful! Limoncello tiramisu... yum! And secondly, thank you for visiting my blog today. regarding the pistachio frangipane... I placed the sable breton circle inside the mold, then piped the frangipane on top about the same heigth as the sable and baked them together. When done, they do look like one base but when biting into it, there is definitely a difference in texture. It really was wonderful. I will be back to visit for sure!

Bakerette said...

what beautiful refreshing photos...I love the tiramisu...fantastic idea! I also love italy and everything italian :)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Ok limoncello and tiramisu - this is heaven for sure. Looks great!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

What a gorgeous dessert! The limoncello sounds like such a nice twist on tiramisu!

Anonymous said...

Aww...love those pictures, a nostalgic tiramissu, superb :)

Anonymous said...

What an incredible entry, great job!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Hi Marianna, I'd like to use one of the pictures for my FoodieView article. Please get back to me! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

daym that cake looks awesome! great photography btw! tops!

Andrea said...

Hi Marianna, i've used your recipe to create my own tiramisu. I changed some things, but it was great :) Thank you for the inspiration!! I'll add your blog into mine. Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marianna,

I'd love to feature your limoncello tiramisu on Kitchen Daily, which is part of The Huffington Post. Do you mind if we use the photo? We'll link back to you of course.

Thanks,

Joe

Marianna said...

Hi Joseph, absolutely!! Let me know if you need a better quality photo and I can email it to you. Appreciate you taking the time to check out my blog and your interest in my recipe!

CR said...

We just returned from three weeks in Nothern Italy and brought back Limoncello as presents. I was looking for a few recipe ideas to included with the gifts and found this on the Huffington Post. I am not a fan of classic tiramisu but I think this lemon version sounds amazing. Thank you for the recipe and for the pictures. I have seen all of these places and am ready to repack my bag and go back.